Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Age of Anxiety

This painting entitled "American Gothic" by Grant Wood depicts a man and his wife who look like average people who are just working their land to just scrape by. I think that this picture shows how people needed to adapt to being lower on the social scale due to the Great Depression. When I first looked at this picture I just thought it was an older married couple who lived on a farm. But when I looked closer I began to notice that the man is wearing overalls with a suit jacket over them, possible representing that he used to be a well off business man. Also, the women looks to be wearing just a plain apron but her broach looks to be gold. So after realizing that the picture contained more than what you see at a glance I felt that it represented the time period of the Great Depression quite well.

No comments:

Post a Comment